Court decisions

FILE - In this April 10, 2019, file photo, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft leaves his seat during an NBA basketball game between the Brooklyn Nets and the Miami Heat, in New York. A judge made several errors when he threw out video evidence allegedly showing New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft twice paying for sex at a Florida massage parlor, prosecutors argued in a court document, keeping alive their case against one of the NFL’s most prominent personalities. The state attorney general’s office filed its argument with the Fourth District Court of Appeal late Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2019, just before a deadline that likely would have meant the dismissal of Kraft’s second-degree misdemeanor charge. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens, File)
October 02, 2019 - 3:19 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A judge made several errors when he threw out video evidence allegedly showing New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft twice paying for sex at a Florida massage parlor, prosecutors argued in a court document, keeping alive their case against one of the NFL’s most...
Read More
PSG Neymar is seen before the French League One soccer match between Bordeaux and PSG at the Matmut stadium in Bordeaux, southwestern France, Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019. (AP Photo/Bob Edme)
September 30, 2019 - 1:19 pm
SAO PAULO (AP) — A Brazilian judge says the model who accused soccer superstar Neymar of rape will face trial on charges of fraud. Another judge dropped serious charges that followed a decision to reject her rape complaint for lack of evidence. Attorney Cosme Araujo said Sunday he will appeal the...
Read More
September 13, 2019 - 2:38 pm
DANVILLE, Va. (AP) — A judge has ordered a psychological evaluation for the man who police say killed the wife, son and mother-in-law of a minor league baseball pitcher. The Danville Register & Bee reports the order was made Thursday by Judge Brian Turpin in the Pittsylvania Juvenile and...
Read More
September 09, 2019 - 2:26 pm
LONDON (AP) — Brazilian player Diego Matos was banned for life from professional tennis on Monday after being found guilty of match-fixing. Matos, aged 31, was also fined $125,000 and ordered to repay illicit winnings of $12,000 by the Tennis Integrity Unit. The TIU said he contrived the outcome of...
Read More
September 05, 2019 - 10:48 am
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Parents who defame their children's public high school coaches don't have legal protections when they make false claims, the Minnesota Supreme Court says. The state's highest court ruled Wednesday that the coaches are not public officials under First Amendment law so they...
Read More
FILE - In this Jan. 14, 2016, file photo, championship banners are removed from the Edward Jones Dome, former home of the St. Louis Rams football team, in St. Louis. The Missouri Supreme Court has ruled that a lawsuit filed over the Rams' departure from St. Louis will be heard in a St. Louis courtroom, a defeat for the NFL team's owner who sought to send the case to arbitration. The court issued its ruling Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019, in a lawsuit filed by St. Louis city and county and the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority, which owns the domed stadium where the Rams formerly played. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)
September 04, 2019 - 2:09 pm
ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Missouri Supreme Court has ruled that a lawsuit filed over the Rams' departure from St. Louis will be heard in a St. Louis courtroom, a defeat for the NFL team's owner who sought to send the case to arbitration. The court issued its ruling Tuesday in a lawsuit filed by St...
Read More
Former Wisconsin Badger football player Quintez Cephus, second from right, arrives at a press conference to reiterate his request for reinstatement to the university in Madison, Wis. Monday, Aug. 12, 2019. The former wide receiver was acquitted earlier this month of sexual assault charges stemming from a campus incident in his apartment. He was expelled from the university in March after the university's own internal investigation. A group of current team members were on hand to show support for Cephus at the event. (John Hart/Wisconsin State Journal via AP)
August 23, 2019 - 6:08 pm
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Wisconsin wide receiver Quintez Cephus was declared eligible to play Friday, a year after he was suspended in the fallout from a sexual assault allegation that resulted in his acquittal by a jury at trial. Cephus was suspended from the team in August 2018 after he was charged...
Read More
FILE - In this Dec. 5, 2016, file photo, Mateen Cleaves walks out of the district court at Genesee District Court in Flint, Mich. Former Michigan State University basketball star Cleaves is standing trial on sexual assault charges in his Michigan hometown. Opening statements began Thursday, Aug. 8, 2019, in Genesee County Circuit Court in Flint, where Cleaves is charged with criminal sexual conduct, assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct and unlawful imprisonment. He's accused of assaulting a 24-year-old woman after a charity golf event and a visit to a Flint-area bar in 2015. A district judge dismissed the charges in 2016, but a circuit court reinstated them on appeal. (Mark Felix/The Flint Journal-MLive.com via AP, File)
August 20, 2019 - 6:37 pm
FLINT, Mich. (AP) — A jury acquitted former Michigan State basketball star Mateen Cleaves on Tuesday of allegations he sexually assaulted a woman in a motel room four years ago. The verdict announced in a Genesee County courtroom in Cleaves' hometown of Flint came after a nearly-two week trial that...
Read More
FILE - In this Dec. 5, 2016, file photo, Mateen Cleaves walks out of the district court at Genesee District Court in Flint, Mich. Former Michigan State University basketball star Cleaves is standing trial on sexual assault charges in his Michigan hometown. Opening statements began Thursday, Aug. 8, 2019, in Genesee County Circuit Court in Flint, where Cleaves is charged with criminal sexual conduct, assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct and unlawful imprisonment. He's accused of assaulting a 24-year-old woman after a charity golf event and a visit to a Flint-area bar in 2015. A district judge dismissed the charges in 2016, but a circuit court reinstated them on appeal. (Mark Felix/The Flint Journal-MLive.com via AP, File)
August 20, 2019 - 6:11 pm
FLINT, Mich. (AP) — The Latest on the trial of Mateen Cleaves (all times local): 6:10 p.m. Former Michigan State basketball star and NBA player Mateen Cleaves is thanking jurors for "giving me my life back" after they acquitted him on sex assault charges. Cleaves was accused of raping a woman in a...
Read More
August 20, 2019 - 4:43 pm
FLINT, Mich. (AP) — Jury acquits former Michigan State basketball star Mateen Cleaves of sexual assault.
Read More

Pages